Wednesday, June 6, 2012

06-07-12 Spring goes on!

It is hard to imagine temperatures like 56 a week into June but it looks like we brought some cool temps back from Canada. I love it! So does the garden. After just a few days away, I had to do some major trimming just to get through some of the paths. Tomatoes are all as tall as I am. when I opened my blog this morning, I saw the picture of them in trays on my living room floor on a freezing night just a few weeks ago. Their progress has been amazing: plant them in good dirt, water well and the sun takes care of the rest.

We already have eaten several cherry tomatoes and a handful of great, crunchy cukes. The corn is filling up but nowhere ready to eat yet.

Being in Canada for a few days not only was delightful weather-wise, but also a throwback to the spring we had here a few weeks ago with Irises and Columbines in bloom everywhere.

 New flowers that bloomed while I was gone:



Purple cone flower

I just love those multi-headed sunflowers


As you can tell, bumble bees do love cardoon flowers


Unusual color for a gladiola

One of my little helpers claiming some of the many insects around the garden

Fire pokers

Natural elegance with an odd name: Cocosmia. 


Years ago, many years ago, my wife and I were visiting Charleston on a beautiful February day. I saw an older lady tending her small garden, engaged her in conversation and, by the time we left, she insisted on giving us some of her Cocosmia. I now have hundreds of them in different locations in the garden, all descendants from her gift. I enjoy their bloom's small size and the memories passed from a gardener to another.



Colorful Cana Lilies in action

Spider flower

Reflection

Dill

No comments:

Post a Comment