Friday, May 25, 2012

05-25-12 First tomato

Guaranteed not photo shopped.
 I know this is very odd to be talking about a ripe tomato on May 25 when, on a normal year, you'd be happy to have the first taste by July 1st. It's only a cherry tomato "Cherry Roma" but one of my favorites. I cut it in half and Marge and I had a moment of silence before savoring it. It was small but tasted just like I remember. Can't wait to have many more in a few weeks.




This cuke, I did not share, just enjoyed the crunch and the fresh taste.






This Iris' sisters, on the other hand, were blooming several weeks ago. Not sure why it is already re-blooming.
Chicago figs promising a very good crop soon.




First sunflower bloom of the year. Pardon the odd angle but that thing is three feet taller than me. Way to make you feel small!




This innocuous looking plant makes some of the best pies around: rhubarb. Its ribs need to get a little more body and, in three to four weeks I'll be ready to enjoy.
Hollyhock, my first one in five years after I had to do without for way too long in order to rid my garden of the rust that had attacked the dozens of hollyhocks I had growing in many gorgeous colors. This is the first disease free survivor.

For the next two weeks, there will be no garden news. I'll be out of town and I won't even read my F B for a change. See you in two weeks with a garden full of giant weeds.:(

No comments:

Post a Comment