Thursday, April 12, 2012

04-12-12 Brrrr!






With everything in the garden being about four weeks ahead of schedule, it is just as hard dealing with the fact that our last possible frost date in Raleigh is April 27.

Last night was one of those nights when I could not take a chance. My tomato plants, peppers and cukes have been hardening outside for the last few weeks now but, last night, the thermometer was supposed to get too close to freezing for comfort. Especially since those plants would get hurt by temps in the thirties. So I did something I never do, I moved all of them inside for a couple of nights. They may look a little odd on my living room floor but, to quote my wife, "next to me nothing really looks odd." (I have to take my wife's opinion the way I do my salad, with a little salt and pepper) I'll move them back out tomorrow morning for the weekend and, if the warming trend trend keeps up, they'll all go in the ground next week.

Looking forward to a couple of early tomatoes!

The funny part is that while I worry about frost, my roses are way ahead of schedule. The following picture is the way my rose arbor normally looks on May 8th:



The pinkish rose we see in front is called "Souvenir de la Malmaison" supposedly raised in the gardens of Joséphine de Beauharnais, Napoleon's wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment