Monday, April 21, 2014

04-21-2014 Tomato planting time




I am about a week later than last year but, considering the much colder and longer lasting winter, this is not bad.

Tomato plants ready to transplant.


The thing about tomato planting is that it clearly delineates cool season from warm. I always make sure the soil has warmed up some before I plant. I have planted my favorite cultivars: Cherry Roma, Thessaloniki and Roma. Those are guaranteed to have GREAT TASTE, the only thing that counts for me. I don't go for giant size or mass production, I go for the only thing that counts: the best taste. As usual, I am experimenting with some new (for me) ones: Indigo apple and Indigo Blu Berries. They are supposed to have more antioxidants; we'll see what that does to the taste! Besides I am trying some Pomodoro, Italian Heirloom and Carmello. I'll keep you posted. Robin, I started some of your Black Cherries for the second planting!

This Chinese Wisteria needs a "smell" button; it is so sweet!

Leeks ready for the kitchen


Lady Banks roses slowly filling up the arbor




The picture taken last year on the same date shows many more blooms. We are about two weeks late this year

Thanks to Ingrid, same picture just a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the white but love the green!

This was also much more colorful last year.

Solomon's seals that needs some weeding. Thanks Debbie!


2 comments:

  1. Seeing this encourages me to go dig in the dirt, as you and your garden always have. I practically swoon imagining the smell of the Wisteria.

    ReplyDelete