Tuesday, April 1, 2014

03-31-14 Spring, at last!

Yesterday was so pretty that by late afternoon, I saw neighbors hanging out in their yard who never spend any time outside. The draw was just too powerful!



Some young males got so excited that they brought out their noisy boy toys and trimmed a little here, cut a little there,adjusted a little here and there just to make sure nature remained under control within the proper confines.

For my part, I transplanted  tomato seedlings from the grow lamp tray to larger containers in order to give them some extra space and grow some solid root system before I put them in the real dirt in about three weeks time, after my topsoil warms up for good.

Last night felt so good and peaceful, after the last trimmer choked on its own fumes, that it reminded me of those childhood summer days when it was time to go to bed but you wanted to hang out just a little more, because dusk felt so perfect.



Tomorrow will be dedicated to some major crawling on my knees and weeding all the beds in preparation for the expected spring burst of growth and energy.




The other side of nature, as usual, is the wilder one. As you look at the tulip pictures, you will not notice that Sunday morning's visit by a deer trimmed a good number of my most beautiful tulips. I admire them for their beauty, the deer preferred their taste. Now neither one of us will see those any more. Of the few survivors, a vole decided to pull in and digest about three more. Nature under attack! Or wildlife's revenge?



Just a week ago, bamboo had to bow to ice.






1 comment:

  1. For 11 years I had the pleasure of being able to only look out my window and see your garden in all its seasons. I sorely miss that, your generosity, and the expertise you shared as I learned the pleasures of making things grow. I'm happy I will be able to see these happenings again on a regular basis, albeit virtually.

    ReplyDelete