Saturday, February 4, 2012

02/04/12 Spring Flowers


 
 
 
It may still be offically winter but daffodils are blooming 
everywhere, jasmine, quince, and magnolias.
 I am still hoping to see snow but nothing like Eastern
 Europe  that has been burried in it the last few days. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
The lettuce I moved outside a few days ago is looking great. I am keeping it under wrap to shelter
 it from temperature variations and to make sure crows don't feast on them before I do. 
 
 
The absence of harsh winter weather has a number of people dreading a late onslaught. 
It's always possible ; we've had late snow in the past. Being a cockeyed optimist,
 I prefer to believe that spring will be as nice as winter has been and I decided to start some of my
 tomatoes early. At the worst, I'll have to keep them protected an additional couple of weeks but,
 if my bet is correct, I won't have to wait til July fourth to sink my teeth in a fresh tomatoes.
I know tomatoes and strawberries and everything else is now available 12 months a year but I 
still am a big fan of seasonal eating and don't mind waiting another five month for the rteal thing.
 
 
           First tomato batch:
Pink Saladette
Costa Luta de Marmande ( an Italian version of a French
                                                    classic)
Brandywine Yellow
Lilian's yellow heirloom
Thessaloniky ( Greek) 
Cherry Roma (Italian)
Moonglow
Momotaro (Japanese)
Sarah Black
Lila Sari
Katja
and Black Cherry
 

No comments:

Post a Comment