Sunday, February 12, 2012

02-12-12 First real winter day

After having enjoyed the mildest winter in a while, last night came with a vengeance doing what most winters do: freeze my magnolia. We went from beautiful pink and white blooms to that indicative rust color in just a very few hours.




It will be later before I can tell for sure what the cold did to my escaroles and my kale. Although, to quote my brother in law Bob:"Frost that does not kill kale makes it sweeter." We'll see!

This see-saw weather has me worried about my bees: normally, in winter, they just stay in, try to stay warm and eat their honey to stay alive until spring. This year, they have been in and out on pretty days expanding a lot of energy while bringing little new food in. The hive feel very light, not a good sign and I can't really open it now until it gets warmer. The main concern on an odd winter like this is that the queen would start laying eggs early, that, in turn, could be killed by cold and weaken the whole hive. I need a 65 degree day to check them.



On the hopeful side, I have started my tomatoes. It will be another few days to see the new seedlings.

No comments:

Post a Comment