Sunday, June 15, 2014

06-15-2014 First sunflower!



The reason I do get excited by the first appearance of sunflowers is that they definitely herald summer but they will also keep a number of bees, butterflies and birds happy...and some of them (Mexican sunflowers) will bloom all the way into the first cold of winter.

The last few days have been good, a little hot in the afternoon but the grayish mornings and the afternoon short showers have created a perfect climate for good garden growth.

Miracle of miracles, we are at mid-june and I have not seen more than five (yes, 5!) mosquitoes so far this year!

That cold winter has had a positive impact on those blood suckers. I am ready to forgive it for killing my winter vegetables if this means less mosquitoes. Either that or I am now much less attractive to skitters; that would be nice!

Everything is growing well, tomatoes are filling up and, Friday, I had my first cucumber. Mind you, it wasn't the size of a football preferred by many but it was edible size, tasty and crunchy. No, I do not have a picture of it, eager as I was to put it to my taste buds' test. It passed gloriously!


































Corn is on its way!

The Vietnamese jungle

Another couple of weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment