Tuesday, January 3, 2012

This week in the garden 01-02-12


This week in the garden…
Disclaimer: this picture was not taken this week but last spring.

 
01/02/12 I have decided to share some of my experiences in the garden for the following reasons:
  1. I love gardening
  2. Not many people do practice this pastime anymore and maybe I’ll tempt a couple of you to start with a few herbs in pots and then, maybe, you might even go as far as sacrificing a few square feet of grass turf to plant a couple of tomatoes.
What’s the draw?
  1. Taste, taste, taste and freshness. Warning: once you have tasted the crunch of a head of lettuce picked fifteen minutes before dinner, once you sink your teeth in a tomato still warm from the sun or a fresh fig, you’ll never be able to appreciate in the same way that stuff that travels for days before getting to your super market.
  2. Peace of mind. Nothing is more regenerating after a day’s work than a few minutes spent among your fruit, veggies and flowers. Weed pulling and watering work better than any shrink (I apologize to my friends who are shrinks.) All three Abrahamic religions give gardens a huge play, be it as the lost Garden of Eden or a future heavenly resting place (Sorry to disappoint but no promised virgins in mine.)
  3. Because we can. In NC, we’re blessed with a loooooong growing season, and lots of sun.
Why now? I had a few free minutes.
How? I’ll just post every few days depending on how busy things are.
The good thing: easy to skip if you’re not interested.
The other good thing: feel free to ask questions if interested.

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea !!! Wish a lot of success to "This week in the garden"

    ReplyDelete